Position Vacant – Archaeologist / GIS Specialist
Do you want to manage spatial data for highly significant historical and Indigenous archaeology projects in Victoria?
Dr Vincent Clark and Associates is seeking expressions of interest from candidates for a permanent full-time position of Archaeologist / GIS Specialist within our company.
We are a leading and well-respected firm in the field of cultural heritage and archaeology in Victoria, for both indigenous and historic (non-indigenous) cultural heritage investigation and advice. We are a team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals, who are able to work across all aspects of project investigation, analysis, advice and reporting.
Since 1996 we have been providing high quality cultural heritage advice, archaeological investigations and historical research for a wide range of clients, including government agencies, corporations and private individuals. We prepare cultural heritage management plans to meet the requirements of project sponsors under the Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 and conduct investigations and prepare reports to meet the requirement of the Heritage Act 2017.
The types of projects we have been involved in include high profile historic projects in Melbourne’s CBD, through to more remote and culturally significant places in rural Victoria.
We offer you:
- A wide range of interesting and challenging projects in indigenous and historic (non-indigenous) cultural heritage investigation;
- The chance to collaborate with our team of dedicated, experienced, enthusiastic and friendly professionals, across all aspects of our projects;
- The chance to develop and expand your skills and knowledge, through our own professional development opportunities;
- Encouragement to maintain your own academic and professional networks, and, by agreement, to participate in professional activities outside our company, such as involvement in academic research excavations both within Australia and overseas.
Essential requirements for our position include:
- Specialist training and experience in mapping, spatial data management and GIS;
- A minimum of one years’ experience in Australian archaeology, cultural heritage investigation or related fields;
- Formal qualifications at Honours level or above in Archaeology or a directly related field;
- Knowledge of DGPS data collection and post-survey processing.
Highly desirable qualifications and experience include:
- Total Station survey skills and post-survey processing of data;
- CAD or other digital drafting skills;
- The ability to collect and process data for 3D photogrammetry and produce outputs for reporting and other visual display outputs;
- Archaeological survey experience and expertise;
- Eligibility to be, or working towards being, a listed Heritage Advisor with Aboriginal Victoria;
- Demonstrated understanding of Victorian heritage legislation;
- Demonstrated knowledge of spatial data and mapping requirements for Aboriginal Victoria and ACHRIS;
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, concise and accurate reports within the format and timeline required;
- Demonstrated ability to perform complex tasks within a project.
Tasks for this position will include, but are not limited to:
- The production of maps, plans and shapefiles for indigenous cultural heritage to meet the requirements of Aboriginal Victoria for reporting and documentation purposes;
- Production of plans, maps, sections and other drawn or visual outputs for historical archaeology reporting and documentation;
- Data processing and analysis;
- Management of spatial data for projects; Assistance with the on-site collection of spatial data;
- Assistance with spatial data requirements for report preparation, including CHMP preparation;
- Contribution to the preparation of cultural heritage management plans, archaeological reports and other documents; and
- Administrative tasks as required.
Remuneration will be based on qualifications and experience. Terms and conditions include:
- Full-time hours generally 38 hours per week (negotiable – part-time hours may also be considered)
- Field work may occasionally be required on projects, requiring travel and overnight stay at times (negotiable)
- Professional development opportunities in line with the company’s business directions.
If you are interested in joining the Dr Vincent Clark & Associates team, please forward your resumé and cover letter addressed to the General Manager, Dr Vincent Clark and Associates via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to 29th January 2020.